This video was rather interesting. I was excited to visit a website for teachers where we can watch short video clips of workshops put on all over, that we would rarely have the opportunity to see on a professional day. What's also great is that they're highly organized to be shown in a short period of time. In just 6 minutes I learned about the 3 parts of the brain and how visualizing engages our brains to help us better understand the big ideas. There were 3 principles for helping us become better problem solvers:
1. Using images to help clarify ideas.
2. Make images interactive to create engagement.
3. Augment memory to create a visual that is persistent and has evolving views.
Tom Wujec showed how his company used this model to collaborate on major projects. I wish I had a chance to see more, but the short clip was fascinating.
Watching this video helped me gain a whole new appreciation for how the brain creates meaning and the importance of visualization. We use visualizing and making mental images so often when we teach reading strategies with our young readers, but it truly is a brain based strategy that can carry over into so much of what we learn.
Tom Wujec on 3 ways the brain creates meaning Video on TED.com
Sunday, April 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment