Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Digital Nation- 1st section

I was watching the PBS documentary Digital Nation in short little bursts (I can't sit and watch something for 90 minutes!) and had a few observations about the comments/ points of view that the interviewees had. The first thing that really spoke to me is when the mom was cooking dinner and noticed that all the members of her family were doing something with technology. She said "(we're) in the same house, but in different worlds". Our family unit is being threatened by technology, and too much time being spent not interacting with each other. I confess that my husband and I are constantly checking and sending emails, and that we recognize we have to set limits on our children. My 4 year old is completely addicted to my 'monkey phone' (iphone). She is able to navigate around and find the music and videos she likes. It is not a pretty sight when we take it away from her! But then I think about what their worlds will potentially be like, and wonder if I am doing them a disservice by taking these tools away. Certainly technology will evolve, and be radically different when they are my age, but the time to learn is now. I feel like, for me, the older I get, the more difficult it is for me to learn something new.

The other thought I had involves the students and professors at MIT. I couldn't help but compare my college experience to that which current students have. When I started college, in 1992, I was pretty cool because I had an Apple IIe (or at least I think that was the name). It had a green screen. I had to wait in line to sign up for classes and find a dorm room. When I was a senior, I could go to the computer lab and check my email account. Seriously, it's like how Cohasset is, now (ha!). These days I check my email all day long, from my phone. I saw the students checking their mail, texting, etc. at dinner with their friends, which most of us would consider rude, but it is common practice for them. What is acceptable in society is changing, as well. I found it interesting that the professors were worried about the students' ability to pay attention and complete assignments. Who says this will be necessary in the future? Sometimes, I feel like we, as educators, are trying to teach our students what we wished we had been taught to succeed in today's market place. As the world evolves and enters the 21st century, it seems crazy that the products of the 20th century are trying to prepare the students of the future. There is no solution to this dilemma, and creates interesting conversations. I can't wait to see what my kids' college experience is like- far, far into the future. For now, I'll cherish their opinion that Mommy knows everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment