What impressed me the most about this video wasn't the use of technology but how deeply the technology was embedded in rich content and problem solving. I am always bemoaning the lack of time and the importance of foundation learning. How can I fit in all the rich technology available? How can I add more stretch learning? This video has many of the solutions.
I listened to Tony Wagner's interview before I watched this video and I realized that the video was illustrating Wagner's seven skills. What was most clearly demonstrated was who was doing the work and who was learning. The students have internalized the routines and expectations and are masters of their own learning. They are writing the blogs, answering the emails and posting comments- and with only three computers. (That fact really hit home- I'm rich-I have four in my room)
Each learning experience is carefully layered so not only are they answering e-mail (reading & writing) but they are reinforcing geography. It is amazing to see the multitasking in learning- all while they are working cooperatively. Each moment allows for content learning, critical thinking and collaboration.
To achieve this level and still be sane, the teacher must be part of a team. Tony Wagner says that every teacher must be part of a team-to collaborate in creating curriculum; to observe each other and to use the lesson plan process. I agree completely. To fully utilize technology and to be a part of twenty-first century education, teachers must work together. So here is my start in team working. Want to make big numbers visible and real to kids? watch the mega penny project:So here is my start in team working. Want to make big numbers visible and real to kids? - watch the mega penny project: http://www.kokogiak.com/megapenny/
Sunday, January 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Jeanne,
ReplyDeleteI just visited the penny site and was amazed at the impact of such a powerful visual. This would be an excellent resource for demonstrating so many number concepts. Thank you for sharing.
Cynthia
Reflection 1: Kiwi Video
ReplyDeleteAfter watching this New Zealand’s classroom video I was completely impressed. Shortly after, I switched into compare/contrast mode, a familiar reaction teachers have when they view other classrooms!
“What am I doing that’s like/unlike this classroom?”
“Where does she find the time??”
“Where did they get the support and training?”
“How am I ever going to get an interactive whiteboard into my classroom? But if I do, will I be as savvy as this classroom teacher obviously is.”
Oh, the doubts and guilt we educators inflict on ourselves sometimes.
Back to feeling impressed…
1. This is a student-centered classroom. It is an environment that encourages communication and creativity from multiple perspectives. Students are deeply engaged in meaningful activities throughout the entire school day.
2. The 16 Habits of Mind is reinforced and nurtured by this teacher. The district she works in must clearly see the value of supporting best practices for 21st century teaching, as well the long term benefits on a much more global scale.
3. The amount of planning on her part must be tremendous. I was mesmerized at how seamless things ran. Some of these children are six years old! Do we ever underestimate the power our students possess?
Would I like to fly to New Zealand for a visit to this classroom? Sure! As for myself, I am remaining optimistic that I will take away many new and inspiring ideas to create a classroom for my students that reflect the 16 habits of mind and incorporates 21st century skills. I still have much to learn…